Thursday, February 10, 2011

#10

April 15, 1953


Dear Virginia -


The news I told you about may not be news at all - depending on one's attitude. At all events here goes:

For some time, I have shied away from you, not for the lack of the desire to see you, for I have wanted to, time and time again - that, you know. The main reason is that I must cleanse myself first before I approach you again.

And now, I feel cleansed of all a woman could justly accuse a man of; and free of all inequities and entangle- ments. That is considered as news to some who know how sordid my life had been.

So now, with a conscience clear, I put my case up again to you. Gini, I never have ceased to love you - not for a day since you know when. You are the only woman for me - the only one I would take under that particular holy sacrament. Three longest years have elapsed since I said that. You cannot say it is just a moment's fancy. Let's take it Gini, before we are too old to enjoy life's best.

Now, write to me, whether you think the above is news; whether it is good or bad news: whether it is worth the anxiety of your voice on the telephone.


Affectionately,

Gomer

No comments:

Post a Comment