Monday, November 23, 2009

Perspectives

I was packing something for mailing the other day, using those styrofoam peanuts to pad the box. Kyle (7 y.o.) comes in and sits on the floor with me, asking,"What are you doing Mommy?"
I said,"Oh , I'm packing this to send to a friend." Then he continues, inquisitive this child is, "Mommy, what's that?" pointing to the styrofoam peanuts. I answered, "Oh, that's styrofoam peanuts to pad the box so it doesn't break what's inside." Then he picks one up, examines it closely then brings it down between his legs as if comparing the size of the styrofoam peanut to his, well... you know. He is dressed fortunately. Then he said, after a short pause... "Well, it is about the same size." I break into a slow smile. I have taught my boys the proper names for body parts but for some reason they refuse to call this one by its proper name, preferring to call it "peanut". In comes Jared (9 y.o.) and Kyle calls out, "Hey Jared, check out this peanuts!" Jared looks at Kyle, looks at me with eyes wide open and runs out of the room, screaming, "Peanuts... I'm allergic to peanuts!" He is... severely.

No comments:

Post a Comment