Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Memories from Grandchildren

From John Baguio, 19  -

     Lolo was a very genuine man. I thank him for my height, my good looks, and most important my manners.
Any one that even had the chance to talk to or interact with Lolo can say he was a man of strong faith, faith that rubbed off on his children and grandchildren. Faith is the one thing that he held on to since I can even remember.I won’t forget the nights we would eat canned pork and beans, the road trips he and Lola came on, and his warm comforting smile. I would not be half the man I am today if it wasn’t for him.
I am praying for all of the family and love you very much Lolo.

Hannah Suarez, 15 and Hans Suarez, 13 -

      One thing I'll never forget about Lolo is his favorite question - "Do you love me?" Of course, you would always respond with "Yes, Lolo!" or "Of course, Lolo!" Any grandchild would. But he always had one more question - "How much?" Well, Lolo, we'll never truly find the words to tell you how much we really love you.
There are no words that can even come close to quantifying how much each and every one of us loves you.
The most we can do is spread our arms wide, say "This much!" and hope you understand that we love you with all our hearts - we always have and always will.

From Kathryn Quijano, 20, in Kentucky:

     When we were smaller, having Lolo living at home meant a lot. It meant learning to enjoy the perfect cup of Lolo’s coffee in the morning, and singing “Sunrise, Sunset” alongside him while he rocked in his big green chair. For me, it also meant having a “safe haven” to run to when I was scared. When I couldn’t fall asleep and my parents were already snoring, I would sneak into my grandparents’ room downstairs and wedge myself between Lola and Lolo, falling asleep to Lolo singing “Goodnight Sweetheart” after they prayed their nightly rosary. Now, I can only smile knowing that my wise and ever-protective grandfather is on his way to his own “safe haven.”


From Emil-Jake Quijano, 18:
     I will always remember Lolo for being so determined. When he had a goal in his mind, whether it be carving a pumpkin, getting the mail at the bottom of our long hill, or watering the plants, he would always put his mind to it and do it. He has taught me to never give up especially when people tell you to quit. Even though he was stubborn, he showed me that if you put your mind to it you can do it.

     He also taught me a multitude of other things. He taught me to “bahug” on my rice, which if you ask me, is quite a useful life lesson. He also taught me to appreciate American Movie Classics, old music, and how to slurp my soup to make it cooler. If you ask me, Lolo was the best snack maker in the world. Every day after elementary school he would make me the best snacks. My personal favorite was his combo of maho and rice. Even his simple love for Chinese peanuts influenced me to snack on them whenever I can. Thank you Lolo for everything you have taught me. Even though I can’t be there with you, I'll be thinking of you, especially since we have the same name! I love you!

And last but not least …from Nikko Quijano, 12:

     I was still too young to remember a lot about Lolo growing up, but every time I leave the garage I see Lolo's apple tree and it will always remind me of him. I do remember that I always saw Lolo put Lola above anything else, no matter what.

I will always love and remember you Lolo.

No comments:

Post a Comment